Select a term to find out it's definition


What is Attendance Allowance?

Attendance Allowance is benefit that can help with extra costs if you have a disability or care need severe enough that you need someone to help look after you. It’s paid at two different rates and how much you are awarded depends on the level of care that you need.

For more information, please contact your local Social Services department or visit The Government website here.


What is Capital Threshold?

Capital Threshold refers to the amount you may have in savings or in the value of a property before you need to pay for your own care.

You may not be able to claim help from your local council (in England or Northern Ireland) for the cost of your care if you;

  • have savings of over £23,250, the current Capital Threshold
  • own your own property (this only applies if you’re moving into a care home and not for homecare)

For more information, click here.

What is a Care Assessment?

A Care Assessment is completed with you and your carers, whether in your home or a care setting, to establish and document what your healthcare needs are. This assessment looks at how you’re managing everyday activities, household tasks and getting out and about and your views will be central to the process.

If you have any social care needs, then you are entitled to an assessment.

What is a Care Pathway?

Very simply, a Care Pathway is a document used to help everyone involved set out best practices for the treatment or any specific conditions or needs you may have. Care pathways are a long term tool with the aim of giving you the best quality of care improved health.

What are Care Plans?

A Care Plan is another document which records what is needed to ensure you receive the best, personalised care. Care plans are detailed and live documents that describe the overall aims and desired outcomes, based on a thorough assessment of your needs. It will describe the services and actions that are required to meet both your day-to-day and longer-term needs.

Who are Care Quality Commission (CQC)?

An organisation set up by the Government to make sure that all care homes in England provide care that is safe, caring, effective, responsive and well-led.

What is Continuing Healthcare?

Sometimes know as CHC, Continuing Healthcare allows for NHS funding for certain people with long term, complex health needs. Funding for care in your own home or a care home may be offered.

Funding is dependent on an assessment. You can find out more and receive free advice from www.beaconchc.co.uk.


What is Funded Nursing Care?

If you are not eligible for NHS Continuing Care (CHC) but have been assessed as needing care from a registered nurse, you could be eligible for NHS Funded Nursing Care.

NHS Funded Nursing Care is funded by the NHS for eligible nursing home residents, it does not matter if you are a self-funder or if your local authority is paying for your care. It is not means-tested which means that your income and savings have no bearing on whether you can get Funded Nursing Care or not.

What is a Framework Agreement? 

Framework agreements are arrangements between one or more buyers and one or more suppliers that provide the terms governing contracts to be established for a certain period of time, in particular with regard to price and, where necessary, the quantity envisaged.

Simply put, a Framework Agreement is an arrangement between a buyer and a supplier, outlining the terms of their agreement.

You may hear the term used between your care provider and the body providing any funding you may be eligible forThe agreement is likely to cover time frames, price and quality of the service.


What is Independent Living?

Independent living does not necessarily mean living by yourself or doing everything for yourself, it means the right to receive the assistance and support you need so you can participate in your community and live the life you want. It is the right to choose the way you live your life.


What is Local Authority Funding?

Government funding may be available to help you pay for your care. However, most funding is means tested and will depend on your savings, assets and income. This funding is referred to as Local Authority Funding.


What is Palliative Care?

Care designed for the terminally ill and their families, especially care provided by an organised health service.

What is a Personal Expenses Allowance (PEA)?

If you qualify for funding for your care home place, then you may well be eligible for The Personal Expenses Allowance (PEA). This is an additional allowance to ensure you have a little extra for expenses you may incur while living in a care home. For example, if you wish to buy personal toiletries, a newspaper, or treats for friends and relatives. The PEA is currently £23.50 per week.

What is Person Centred Care?

Person-Centered Care is something that is really important to us at Springfield. Rightly, it puts you at the centre of your care. Keeping you involved in decision making and treating you with dignity and respect. It is about doing everything possible to put your needs first.

What is meant by Private Funding?

If you have an excess of the capital threshold, or own your own property, you will not be entitled to any financial support from the Government and will have to finance your own care. You can arrange and pay for your care without any support from your local council. When you pay for your own care, this is referred to as ‘private funding’.

It is important to get professional advice since there are several types of schemes available to help you pay for your stay in the care home. These organisations will also help ensure you receive all your entitlements to any state benefits.

These organisations include:

  • Nursing Home Fees Agency (NHFA) Freephone 0800 998 833
  • Care Aware Tel: 08705 134925
  • Care Direct Freephone 0845 1551 007


What is Quality assurance?

A way of preventing mistakes or defects in a service. CQC is the organisation set up to ensure quality in the care sector.


What is Self Funding?

Someone who is self-funding pays the full cost of their care and support. As a self-funder, any contracts will be between you and the care home directly. If you are self funding you may wish to seek independent financial advice.

What is Social Care?

This refers to all forms of personal care and other practical assistance for you if you need extra support.

What is State Funding?

Local authorities are the main source of public funding for adult social care services. This is referred to as state funding.

The only way to know whether you qualify for state funding is to contact your GP or social worker and arrange an assessment. This assessment is based on your health needs and what you can personally afford.


What are Care Home Top Up Fees?

If you would like to live in a different, more expensive care home than the one chosen by the local authority, then you have the option for a third party to pay a ‘top-up’ fee. This is when somebody pays the difference between what the local authority has agreed to pay and the cost of the care home you choose.

Most top-up fees are paid for by a third-party, usually a family member but sometimes a friend or charity.

For more information, please contact your local Social Services department or visit www.carechoices.co.uk


What is Wellbeing?

The state of being comfortable, healthy and happy. Being in a position where you have good physical and mental health and the opportunity to take part in the activities that interest you.


What is a 12 week disregard in care home funding?

If you own your own property but need to move into a care home quickly, then the Local Authority may allow you a 12 week disregard. This mean they ‘disregard’ your home and pay for some or all of your care for up to 12 weeks, or until your house sells, which ever is sooner.

As with all self funding you may wish to seek independent financial advice.



We're always

Happy to help

We hope that our care terms glossary helps you to understand more about the different care terms. Hopefully, it will help you on your journey to finding the right care home for you.

If you cannot find a specific term that you are looking for please email us. We can consider adding it to the glossary in order to help more people like you. If you do have any further questions, please get in touch with our friendly team who are always happy to help.